Friday, March 13, 2009

A Personal Note

This message is a personal statement, rather than one that is from the collective staff.
However, many of the remarks directly reflect comments made to me by other staff members.

I cannot overstate my enjoyment of the LAHS experience.
I have been able to work with 28 athletes without one “attitude” and I have been able to do so with co-coaches whom I like and respect.
The parent support has been great and the presence (and “presents”) of the Booster club has been an unexpected but much appreciated bonus.
The Athletic Director is very supportive.
The athletes are interested in learning and improving – a coach cannot reasonably ask for more.

The combined record of the JV team and the Varsity team is six wins and one loss.
Yesterday’s wins against Del Mar were growing experiences. The Varsity team was not willing to just accept a loss against a solid team with a very good pitcher. The JV team now knows that it is good enough to win even when the team is not playing its best ball.

But my positive attitude toward coaching at LAHS is not about the record. It dates back to well before our first game.
As a first phase of the coaching, we conducted the conditioning sessions in November, December and early January. In this first phase, I kept telling myself not to get spoiled. The conditioning sessions were voluntary, so we had athletes who certainly wanted to be there and wanted to get better.
The second phase started on January 26, when practices were mandatory. If anything, the second phase was better than the first. I kept telling myself not to get spoiled, the athletes were working hard because they wanted to make one of the two teams.
We are now in the third phase, which started when our playing schedules began. This phase is better than the second. I see the Varsity team working hard and trying to improve. I watch the JV team practicing and improving. But I keep telling myself not to get spoiled, we are in the “honeymoon” phase.

Whatever happens in phase four, I say thanks for the first three.

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment